Why Ecommerce Businesses Fail...
Having worked with clients for over seven years I often see why some ecommerce businesses work and why others fail. Let’s face it, it's hard to fail. Your overhead is very little, therefore, if you’re failing at your business; my guess is you’re not doing the work! In today's day and age so many people are looking for fast money or get rich quick schemes. People are looking for the ability to own their own business, but do not want to do much work.
This is why I have compiled a list for you. You may not want to hear the truth, but here it is in black and white. Here's the Five Major Reasons I Feel Ecommerce Businesses Fail...
1. I don't get SEO (Search Engine Optimization) so I am not going to do the work. I will move over it and focus on something I enjoy. Why, Why, Why! This just gets my goat! Come on people! This is a business - a job! We often have to in life, as well as, in our businesses do aspects we don't like in order to be successful. The secret here is to learn to overcome what is hard. Decide to master it!
I liken this to when I got cancer. I hated having it and I wanted to give up, but I did what I had to do so I could live. Chemo stinks and sure I would have rather went shopping, but I though hmmmm…… I better do this so my kids can have a mother. It's the same thing with your business. JUST DO the hard stuff so you can create a thriving business!
2. This will never work so you just give up! Yeah you’re right, all the successful ecommerce entrepreneurs are already in business so there is NO room for anyone else. Therefore, it is best that you go ahead and give up! PLEASE PEOPLE... this is talk of a person who never will achieve anything in life and will ALWAYS find an excuse for not moving forward.
3. I need to take a month off so I can travel. I will get back to working my site at the end of the summer. Consistency is key! Work your internet business just like you had a real brick and mortar store. If no one is there to open the store daily then no one will come in and shop. BE THANKFUL that you get to work and run your business from anywhere in the world. Buy a laptop, travel the world AND still work on your business.
4. I am ONLY selling what I like... Because, of course, that is exactly what the rest of the world likes as well. This is the WRONG to think! Leave your ego at the door and be business savvy. Don’t even get me started on this one! Who told you that your taste is so amazing and awesome that everything you like will sell like hot cakes? Whoever it was lied to you!
You need to learn who your target customer is and this will take you time. Offer a wide variety of product within a well defined target market. Tweak from there!
5. I hate Social Media? I hate it too at times, but it works! You have to work it to be successful in certain types of businesses. I have seen clients who 80% of their sales come from social media. It's a critical component to your overall marketing plan and can result in sales, leads, and traffic. Learn it, work it, love it!
About the Author
Jennifer Varner is the CEO and Founder of www.Pure-Ecommerce.com. Pure-Ecommerce offers complete ready to go ecommerce businesses in box which include 40 hours of step by step consultation and mentoring. She is also a breast cancer survivor, entrepreneur and ecommerce expert. Find out more about Jennifer Varner and her story by visiting www.jennifervarner.com.